Hanover State Theatre
The venue for opera, ballet and theatre was originally built between the years 1845 to 1852 using Wealden sandstone in a late-classical style. Mozart’s Marriage of Figaro was the first opera performance in the theatre, on 5th September 1852. The opera house was completely destroyed in the Second World War; after its reconstruction (now in the historical style) it began afresh in 1950, with the Knight of the Rose ("Rosenkavalier") by Richard Strauss.
After several developments and extensions, as well as modernisation, the theatre hall can now has room for up to 1200 visitors. The former "Opera House" on Opera Square was renamed to the State Theatre of Lower Saxony and is one of the most important cultural venues in Lower Saxony.